header

Pages

7.04.2013

CSS Tutorial - Sewn Zipper Pouch




Such a cute little pouch, right?  Well, today I'm going to show how to make one, using an unexpected die from Clear and Simple Stamps' Build-a-Rag doll!  If you recall, I recently posted a rag doll I sewed using this die set:

I'm sure you can tell now which die I used...the head!!  Let me take you through the steps- it might look like a lot, but I promise- this project was easy to put together!

  • Step 1:  Gather your supplies. I grabbed 2 cute fabrics, a zipper, and the die:






  • Step 2:  Die cut 2 "heads" from each fabric. I was able to stack them to cut two at a time...try it out with your die cutter to see if you still get a clean cut. If that doesn't work, you can still easily run them through one at a time.
  • Step 3:  Trim one inch off of each die cut piece of fabric. Again, I was able to stack them up to save time


  •  Step 4:  Place the outer piece of fabric right-side up, followed by the zipper face-down, then the lining fabric right-side down.  Pin, and stitch these together.


  •  Step 5:  Iron the seam flat


  •  Step 6:  Just as before, lay outer fabric right-side-up, zipper face-down (the liner fabric that you had sewn on earlier will be on top), then add the lining fabric right-side down.  Pin and stitch.


  •  Step 7:  Iron seam flat, then top-stitch on either side of the zipper


  •  Step 8:  Trim the zipper, if necessary, and open it up half-way.


  •  Step 9:  Pin the two outer pieces of fabric together, as well as the two lining pieces...right-sides facing one another.  The zipper teeth should be pinned towards the lining.  Sew along entire outer edge, leaving about 2 inches open on the lining.  You'll need to back-stitch both sides of this seam to ensure that it won't come undone when turning.


  •  Step 10:  Clip around the corners, then turn to the right side.  


  •  Step 11: Iron, and sew the opening in the lining closed.  I always use a blind stitch when sewing a seam together (you can find a tutorial on that here)



Ta-da!! 



Thanks so much for visiting!!


5 comments:

  1. oh my!! what a super adorable purse! Now I feel like I really should learn how to sow! You are such an all-rounded artist, Jennifer! I am impressed every time I see something other than cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and such a great idea! Love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up! ( I just shoved you like Elaine would from Seinfeld) What a clever eye you have. Love the little coin purse. Adorable fabrics! Love that you could cut two at once. Genius die usage my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

If you ask a question, please make sure that you leave your email address, or that I can view it in your profile so I can respond :)

(note: I have disabled anonymous commenting due to the 20+ spam comments I have been receiving each day. Please email me at ourchangeofart@gmail.com if this is a problem for you- I wasn't sure how many people would be unable to comment if I did this)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...